Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Kindred Spirit...

"How long does it take you to read this post?"
This was Garrie's blog posting. Simple yet ambiguous...it might be thought inspiring for some, I pondered a little as to what will be in the posting? My first guess was some IQ question, a riddle, and lastly a puzzle of sorts. Never would I realise that the post is in fact about "...people do not have the ability to process information as fast as "normal" people do."

When was the last time you did any form of volunteer work? What was the last thing you did for charity? For me, the last time was years back. Only went to this 'Ju Eng Home for the Elderly' with army because everyone else had to go. The next nearest date would be my college days where CIP counts towards your CCAs etc...Ju Eng Home is a freaking rich shelter for the elderly by the way. If anyone has been there, you'll realise what I mean by this. Some of the old folks there aren't there because they are abandoned, they are there because they are old and lonely and need company. That's one reason I never liked going there but nevertheless there are people over there who really needs our company and compassion.

When was the last time you asked "eh, got lobang for volunteer work not?" or "when's the next charity roadshow or run" or even "when's the blood buddy coming?". Those thoughts haven't been with me for a real long time I must confess. It aren't right not to confess something so sinful. Instead of those phrases, I personally believe the following will be more endearing to most of us: "hey, got lobang for part time not?", "this saturday got lobang for roadshow not, I short of cash", "got sales is it? until when huh?", "this weekend want go sing kbox not?" and even "that guy/girl is damn CUTE!!! I wanna date him/her!!"


I've lost touch with community involvement projects for a long time. Was quite active back then though...not for the points even though they count towards my CCA score. I don't really bother about CCA points, we only live once on this world, do something new, experience something different...that's what living is all about. Back in the secondary school days we plan for Children's Camp for Nee Soon East CC. Lasted all the way into college...there were other events too no doubt. No pay, no nothing, just a plain heart for doing something meaningful. College's CIP program is simply lame....collecting newspapers from people, all the acting and advertising on a "Friendly School". But I was in charge of a nature walk on Pulau Ubin though. That was my 2nd home before I entered army. You can find me on most weekends there, providing free guided trails for groups, for visually handicapped personnel and at the same time at home with nature. Damn I miss that place...the interaction with people, letting them taste some wild leaves/fruits, and letting people feel and be with nature.

Some random pictures from Ubin years back:

This is the Secret Garden...real nice and tranquil place to be in


Anyone seen a quarry with crystal blue water? We don't have tall mountains or raging waterfalls...but this will definitely make you gasp in awe

Bukit Panjang ROX!! Yeah...this is the combined effort of Wen, Wee, Haojun and me.. :)


Nowadays, where's the volunteerism spirit? In university, people volunteer to join certain CIP projects, but is it out of compassion for these less fortunate people, or for a higher chance to remain lodged in hostel? Where's the compassion of Singaporeans? We seem to be measuring it in monetary terms, how much was collected during a flagday, or the donations collected on tv. Are we really that compassionate or are all these just to make ourselves feel better, that we are in a sharing, caring society? To me, the kindred spirit is something that is intangible and it should be that way....immeasurable. So instead of thinking where to go find money over the weekend, trying asking where to do something more meaningful for the society. So where will you be this weekend? Till then...

Garrie, jio me along next time if there's such events. Thanks..

No comments: